FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is ANF?
Anti Narcotics Force (ANF) was established on 21 February 1995. The Anti-Narcotics Force is the principal agency for combating supply and demand reduction of illicit narcotic drugs that enter Pakistan mainly through the long porous border with Afghanistan. These drugs are then smuggled out of Pakistan through the Pak-Iran border, long Makran coast or by sea and air. The national strategy on drug interdiction envisages active and effective cooperation from other law enforcement agencies as the ANF is thinly spread due to its inadequate numerical strength. The ANF has its Headquarters at Rawalpindi with five Regional Directorates at Rawalpindi, Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta. In addition, it has 28 Police Stations in the country. Seven Control of Narcotic Substances (CNS) Courts have been set up to try the cases of persons arrested on the charges of drug trafficking.
What is the Mandate of ANF as per Anti Narcotics Force Act 1997?
Salient features of mandate given to ANF are as under:
- To inquire, investigate and prosecute all offences related or connected with intoxicants, narcotics and precursors.
- Trace and freeze the assets.
- Coordinate elimination and destruction of Poppy cultivation.
- Provide assistance to other law enforcement agencies and share information with all national and International agencies on drug related matters.
- Arrange and coordinate training of own staff and members of other law enforcement agencies related to narcotics.
- Maintain liaison with all international narcotics control authorities and represent Pakistan in conferences and seminars.
- Perform any other related functions that may be assigned by the Federal Government.
What is Drug Addiction ?
Addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that causes compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences to the addicted individual and to those around him or her. Although the initial decision to take drugs is voluntary for most people, the brain changes that occur over time challenge an addicted person’s self-control and hamper his or her ability to resist intense impulses to take drugs.
How drug addiction happen ?
Drug addiction is a cyclic phenomenon. Drug addiction is the end result of a sequence of events. When people have a pleasurable experience with a drug, they want to repeat that experience. Over time they build a tolerance to the drug and develop a psychological and physiological dependence.
The effects of addiction permanent ?
Prolonged use of drugs can cause irreversible damage to the brain, including but not limited to the ability to reason, memory, physical coordination, and a host of physiological maladies.
Can Drug Addison be Treated ?
With the development of modern research techniques in fields of drugs and substance use, addiction can be successfully managed. There are two types of treatment for drug addiction.
Treatment is a gradual process and it varies depending upon the type of drugs used and the time of usage. Multiple course of treatments may be required for full success. It should be noted that drug abuse can never be fully cured and there is always a chance of falling back into addiction. Treatment however, enables people to effectively cope up with the harmful effects of drugs and live their life efficiently.
What are the signs and symptoms of drug abuse ?
- Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual.
- Changes in appetite or sleep patterns.
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
- Deterioration of physical appearance, personal grooming habits.
- Unusual smells on breath, body, or clothing.
- Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination.
What to do if a family member or friend is Abusing Drugs ?
- Parental watch and supervision is always the most essential for preventing drug abuse.
- Educate yourself,your family members and your friends about drug addiction.
- Drug abuse require your help in recovering, Never perceive any addict to stop by himself/herself.
- Offer support and compassion to people who suffer from drug addiction. Don’t wait for your loved ones to “fall over”. Earliest intervention is always better.
- Understand the reasons of falling to drugs and avoid any situations which may lead to future potential relapse.
- The best help to a drug addict is by getting them to professional help. Enroll them to a drug treatment centre as soon as possible.
- Be patient to a drug addict. Drug treatment & rehabilitation is a long process. Shunning them or leaving them alone is never a good thing. Attend to their health and well-being.
How is ANF supporting Drug Abuse Victims ?
As per CNS Act 1997, the responsibility for the registration and rehabilitation of drug addicts fall within the purview of the Provincial Government. However, to provide quality treatment and meet the growing requirement of rehabilitation facilities, the Anti Narcotics force has established Model Addiction Treatment & Rehabilitation Centres (MATRCs) to provide free treatment, food, boarding and rehabilitation to drug addicts. Efforts are also made for their job placement after they are effectively treated and rehabilitated.
How can people register with MATRCs for their treatment ?
Any person suffering from Drug Addiction can register themselves at MATRCs for their treatment. MATRCs are established at Islamabad, Quetta & Karachi. The registration procedure requires following steps:
- Personal appearance at near MATRC with a family member.
- Availability of CNIC and Photo.
- Filling of initial detail.
- Issuing of registration token.
- Lab Tests.
- Checking of the required Lab tests.
- Photo Capturing.
- Initial assessment.
- Informed consent signed by, patient, family, duty staff member and finally the Project Manager.
Where are the MATRCs and how to contact them?
MATRC’s are established in Islamabad, Quetta & Karachi. Their address and contact are as follow:
Model Town, Humak
Burji Stop, Kahuta Road
Email Address : email@example.com
Exchange : +92-51-4492079
MATRC – Quetta
House No. 83-A,
Chaman Housing Scheme, Airport Road
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Exchange : +92-81-2820822
MATRC – Karachi
Benazir Shaheed ANF Hospital
Email Address : email@example.com
Exchange : +92-21-32532924